Monday, March 1, 2010

Well there you go

My husband and I are taking out life insurance to help protect our phantom fetus.  Given our income, debt, school expenses in new olreans, ect it worked out that we each need about $1 Million in coverage. When a company issues a policy for that much money, you have to go through a physical exam so at 7:15 this morning we arrived with bells on. to We had to give them lots of samples, and answer hundreds of health history questions. So I'm sure you know where this is going...

"Are you taking any medication"
"Prenatal Vitamins"
"Congratulations, How long have you been trying?"
"Two years"
::insert blank stare here::

Yeah. Never good to get one of those. I know she felt like an ass as soon as I responded. But then she asked me if I was seeing anyone, and I told her I was going to a Reproductive Endocrinologist who worked with a fertility clinic.She told me about how she had trouble conceiving #1 as well and that she had an endo diagnosis. She said that when she finally got pregnant with #1 she was so excited there was no comparable feeling. She then when on to tell me that after #1, she never had trouble getting pregnant again. She got pregnant with #2 and #3 on accident in pretty quick succession. Then she had her tubes tied after that #3, and 6 months latter #4 was on the way. Not joking. 4 kids in 5 years. She told me that her doctors assumed the first pregnancy had cured the endometriosis which was something I had never heard before (but dutifully Dr. googled it). I'm still not sure if that can actually happen, but its always nice to hear stories of success and her story started my Monday on a happy note.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Glad to hear the visit turned to a good note, rather than a sour one. I just wanted to say that I've heard the same about endo. My cousin has endo as well and suffers quite a bit with it. Her doctor told her one almost surefire way to ease her symptoms and discomfort and "cure" it was to get pregnant. I'm hoping it works that way for her - and for you! :)

Shannon said...

I always find it interesting that for as many people that seem to be super fertile, its still possible to run across those who struggled. Although the insurance lady DID end up being crazy fertile anyways, but you know what I mean :)

Unknown said...

I have heard that the first one is the hardest, but we all know that's not 100% true. BUT if there was a chance of a pregnancy helping to cure endo, that's encouraging! And I hate, hate, hate the way some people look at you when you reveal any sort of difficulty conceiving.

Kristen said...

I hate that blank stare look. I'm glad she was able to say some encouraging words after that.

I actually got that look from the life insurance nurse the other day too - she was at the house taking MH's blood and stuff (I am uninsurable, so I was just there getting ready for work). I started doing my nebulizer, and she asked, "Oh, do you have asthma?" Me: "No. I have cystic fibrosis" Her: Blank Stare.

Hello awkward.

Buena said...

I have an aunt and a dear friend that had the same experience with endo. All I know is that I'm hoping and praying for you.

Christa said...

It has to give us all hope when we run into a former infertile. But the blank stare is the worst because they just don't know what to say...