Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Day

Christmas day my Papa passed away. For those who have been reading my blog for a while you will probably remember that me and Papa were extremely close. We have gone to church and brunch every Sunday since I moved back to New Orleans about 2.5 years ago.  Although it was an extremely sad day, I know he was at peace with all of his children and grandchildren by his side. And I take comfort in the fact that he isn't in pain anymore. We had just celebrated his 90th birthday party, so he definitely lived a long and fulfilled life. The service and burial will be on Wednesday.

I went to church today for the 1st time ever without him. I didn't think I would be able to do it, but a cousin offered to go with me so I went. We go to a relatively small church and he had been a member for over 50 years so I knew everyone there would be sharing in my loss. It turned out to be a wonderful morning. I heard so many fun stories and memories from his friends.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!

9 comments:

Nikki Godbee said...

I am so sorry for your loss. My grandfather passed away today. Too much loss around the holidays. ((HUGS))

Amy said...

Oh hun I am so sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my prayers. ((HUGS))

Jessica said...

My heart goes out to you. I can't imagine losing someone around the holidays!! You and your family are in my thoughts!! ((HUGS))

Kristin said...

Thinking and praying for you! Sorry for your loss!

nikinikinine said...

I'm so very, very sorry for your loss.

Shannon said...

I am so very sorry for your loss. I loved reading your posts when you mentioned your grandpa, I could feel the love. I know the choirs of angels sang when your grandpa got to heaven and he will forever look down on you.

Unknown said...

(((HUGS)))

Buena said...

i'm sorry for your loss. i'm glad that going to church brought back all the wonderful memories.

((hugs))

Julia said...

May we have some of the favorite stories in a post? Think it may be cathartic...love you!